Tuesday, February 9, 2010

'I am an Idiot': Vidhu Vinod Chopra


Flush with the success of 3 Idiots, Vidhu Vinod Chopra is back to the sets...all set to start work on his next project Broken Horses. The filmmaker in conversation with Sreya Basu From 'Sazaa-e-Maut' to '3 Idiots', Vidhu Vinod Chopra has always been associated with 'good' cinema...
That's because I am an 'Idiot'. I follow my heart and make films that I want to make. I am not concerned about what others are doing. I make films that I like and believe that people will like.
According to you, how do 'good' films happen?
Good films don't happen, you have to make them. You have to dedicate two-three years on the script...then, the pre-production, shooting, post production hazards...it requires lots of hard work and dedication.
But then, the efforts do get heavily paid off at the box office and award ceremonies...
True. But I sincerely believe that it's the duty of filmmakers to make good films. If people are spending money to watch a film on Friday, it has to be a good one. This is the one thought that always plays on my mind when I work on a film...be it Munnabhai MBBS or Lage Raho Munnabhai or 3 Idiots, or Parineeta or Ekalavya. If the film is bakwaas (nonsense) then even if Aamir Khan tours round the world to promote it, no one will be able to save it.
Having said that, tell us honestly, don't you get panic attacks before the release of your films?
Rajkumar Hirani and I, in fact, everyone who works with our production house (Vinod Chopra Films) are trained in making films within budget. We make good films because we make films within our budget. So we don't get panicked thinking about the fate of the films. By God's grace most of our films do really well. Now 3 Idiots has rewritten the Indian Box Office history. But even if the film won't have worked, there was no reason for us to get heart attacks.
What are your next projects?
There's Broken Horses, Munna Bhai Chale Amrika, Pachaasvi Saalgirah, Ferrari Ki Sawaari and Taalismaan. Generally at Vinod Chopra films, we plan for the next 3-4 years and then work accordingly.
Earlier, you said you want to raise funds for National Innovation Foundation through 3 Idiots. What is the current status of the project?
See, I don't want to confuse the marketing of the film with this, unlike one Mr Bhagat (Chetan Bhagat) who believes in cheap publicity stints. I don't want people to think that we want to start this foundation to promote our film. Having said that, now that the film has run its course, we are very serious about it and hopefully we will have a foundation. But I don't want to confuse what I want to do for the country, for the people, with the marketing of my film. At this moment there are people who are working on the modality on how this foundation will work, and once we have it we will call it the 'Idiot Foundation'. This foundation will try and help the idiots of the world, particularly our country. It will take them to where they deserve to go. But I will speak more on this once the foundation is formed. I am glad that you know about it.
As you mention Chetan Bhagat; what will you tell him if the two of you come face-to-face somewhere?
For rest of my life I don't want to meet Chetan Bhagat.

No comments: